Pyramiden is named after the pyramid-shaped mountain close to the town.
A Russian coal mining settlement was established here in 1910 by the Swedish and was later sold to the Soviet Union in 1927.
Once the coal reserves were depleted by 1998, the mine was closed. The village was once home to more than a thousand people.
For more pictures and other ghost villages in Svalbard, check out our books !